Did You Know:
- 1.25 million Americans work in the visual arts.
- 1 in about 100 jobs is in art and design.
- The economic impact of art/design exceeds that of sports worldwide.
- Jobs in design have increased 43% in the past ten years.
- Yearly sales of art reach an estimated $10 billion in the U.S.
- There are over 532,000 designers working in the U.S.
- More people are employed in the visual arts than in all of the performing arts and sports industries combined.
- 200,000 people are employed in the film industry.
- People spend approximately $55 billion annually on video games.
- The computer animation industry generates $33 billion annually.
- Jobs and employment in many creative industries are growing faster than the labor force as a whole and make up 30% of the work force by some estimates.
- America’s nonprofit arts industry generates $134 billion in economic activity every year.
- By 2016, jobs for artists and designers are predicted to increase by 42%.
- Arts-related businesses in the country’s largest cities represent 4.3% of all businesses and 2.2% of all jobs in the United States.
- There are 3 million people working for over 600,000 arts-centric businesses in the United States.
- Employment growth by arts-centric businesses since 2007 was 12%, more than four times the rise in the total number of U.S. employees.
- Designers are the single largest group of artists, followed by performing artists such as actors, dancers, musicians, and announcers.
- Employment of interior designers is expected to grow 19% from 2006 to 2016.
- Median salaries of: Creative Directors–$90,000, Art Directors–$86,505, Fine Artists–$48,870, Multi-media Artists and Animators–$61,555, Graphic Designers–$46,925, Set and Exhibit Designers–$49,330, Producers and Directors–$86,790, Broadcast Technicians–$40,270, Photographers–$38,090, and Film/Video Editors–$66,715.
- Wage and salary employment in the motion picture and video industries is projected to grow 11% by 2016.
- Animators, film and video editors, and others skilled in digital filming and computer-generated imaging have the best job prospects in future of the motion picture and video industries.
- There are about 94,000 computer artists and animators working in the United States.
- Jobs for photographers have increased 38% in the past four years
The arts are not just a past time but provide a future and jobs for thousands of American’s around the world. It’s a way for people to express their feelings, ideas, passions, likes and dislikes. It has the power to bring people together of all races and religions. Just imagine how dull a world we would have if there were no such thing as the visual arts.
Americans for the Arts, National Endowment for the Arts, U.S. Department of Labor, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, and the Entertainment Software Association